The 6 x 48 inch industrial belt sander
The 6 x 48 inch belt sander is a heavy duty belt sander is a tool that was designed to be used in various work shops such as fabrication shops, metalworking shops, metallurgical facilities, school shops and woodworking shops that can sand various ferrous metals such as steel and non-ferrous materials as wood quickly with the right abrasive sanding belt.
Whats great about this Kalamazoo tool is that this unit is designed to accommodate many different styles and types of 6 x 48 inch belts. To sander or blend different materials such as wood. To name a few aluminum oxide, zirconia and ceramic and many other style belts so you can get the finish that you want.
Things to know…..
- Our 6 x 48 inch belt sander can accommodate different types of belts so you can achieve different types of finishes.
- We use 3HP 1PH or 3PH Total enclosed fan cooled motors.
- The work table is cast iron and adjustable with a slot so you can use a mitre gauge.
- The sander head is multi position. That means you can place the head in the vertical position, the horizontal position and any position in between.
- The platen is made out of steel and is reversible and replaceable.
- The sander frame and yoke is cast iron.
- The bearings used in the production of this sander are sealed.
- Cast iron sander base.
- This unit is manufactured in Kalamazoo, MI 49048.
- All parts are replaceable no matter the age of the unit.
- Important: if your belt sander is brand new and the belt doesn’t remain tracked more than likely the belt was cut and taped wrong. If these belt are new take them back to your supplier for a new back. If one belt is bad then presume that all the belts that are in that box are bad.
Types of joints in sanding belts
There a few different types of joints that you’ll see in sanding belts which is the butt joint and the lapped joint.
The butt joint typically leaves a smoother joint. Because how the lapped joint is manufactured there will be a bump in the joint. On the other hand the lapped joint can be stronger but over time the belts will come apart at the joint due to glue or tape failure.
Maintaining your belt sander check list….
- Pay attention to sanding belts for an tears, rips and or general ware.
- Clean out all nooks and crannies after every use, so the machines performance is hindered because of debris build up.
- Pay attention to machine pulleys for any general wear.
- Pay attention to the crown on the lower pulley. The crown keeps the belt tracked. If that crown disappears the machine won’t track.
- Inspect all electrical connections.
Standard 6 x 48 inch sanders……
All of our heavy duty industrial 6 x 48 inch belt sanders are built with a heavy duty 3HP or 1PH or 3PH, 5HP 3PH (also available), multi position sanding head, adjustable work table with 5/8th inch slot, reversible and replaceable steel platen, spring belt tension, cast iron sander base, yoke and frame.
One of many terrific features of this sanding unit other than the replaceable steel and reversible steel platen, adjustable cast iron work table with miter gage slot is the multi position sanding head. The reasons why this in specifically done with the 6″ x 48″ industrial belt sanders is that the size, to allow the operator to adjust the sanding head to meet there sanding needs and lastly to allow them to be comfortable while operating the industrial belt sander.
The multi position sander head feature is the same across the board on all of the 6 x 48 inch belts sanders whether it’s wet or dry.
The only two tools to adjust the sanding head is a boxed wrench to remove the coupling guard and an allen and or boxed wrench to loosen up the hardware to adjust the sanding head itself.
We manufacture several different 6 x 48 inch belt sanders. These 6 x 48 inch heavy duty sanding tools are available as a wet sander, dry sander and with a dust collector.
We do offer a 6 x 48 inch belt sander with a 5HP 3PH 230V or 460V (specify voltage at time of order) as well. The part number is S6MS-5. Other than the motor base the and the motor all the other parts of this industrial equipment will be the same. We offer this piece like this for many reasons such as if a company likes the 6″ x 48″ belt but needs to do some heavy sanding but don’t necessarily need a belt grinder or have extra horse power.
The 6 x 48 inch industrial belt sander is capable of doing but not limited to
- Stock removal
- Blending scratch patterns
- Final finishing
- Great for removing loose paint (use proper safety equipment).
Make sure you do belt experimentation
Each belt will act differently with each material type so you will need to play around with the belts. Belts designed for sanding wood will more than likely act different than the belts designed for sanding steel and or even brass for that matter.
When playing around with sanding belts be sure to stick with the belts that are designed to be use with whatever material that your sanding. So if your sanding wood stick with the belts that are designed to be with wood and the same with steel.
Click on them to be taken to there individual web pages
- S6MS 6 x 48 inch belt sander with stand
- S6MV 6 x 48 inch belt sander with vacuum base
- S6MW 6 x 48 inch wet belt sander
This equipment has been designed to make part replacement straight forward and simple. All majors components such as the pulley’s, platen, yoke with tension shaft, drive spindle and motor are replaceable regardless of the units age. In other words it doesn’t take an engineering degree to fix this or any of the Kalamazoo Industries equipment.
To purchasing replacement belt sander parts couldn’t be any easier for the 6 x 48 inch Industrial belt sander thanks to our new online store.
All major sander parts such as pulley’s, platen and of course the motor are available for online purchase. To purchase those sander replacement parts click here to be directed to the online replacement parts page.
Where can this equipment be used
This 6 x 48 inch again is available 1PH 115V or 230V or 3Ph 230V or 460V which is terrific because this allows it to be used in any size shop with all power supplies.
- Metalworking shops (large or small)
- Woodworking shops (large or small
- Automotive shops
- Home shops
Kalamazoo Industries offers a parts warranty of one year under normal use. For example when the warranty is voided: if a machine is wired incorrectly and the motor and or other some other electrical components are fried.
The wrap up
Again these heavy duty belt sanding equipment can be used in an work shop because of it’s rigidity an d friendly power requirements.
Contact us at (269) 382-2050 with your application,we’ll get you pricing and learn where to purchase these 6 x 48 inch belt sanders.
This Kalamazoo tool is manufacture here in Kalamazoo, Michigan 49048 and can be used in any metalworking shop and or woodworking shop.