How to get the most out of your Kalamazoo Industries belt sander
In this post we will cover a few things that you should do to get this most out of your Kalamazoo Industries heavy duty abrasive belt sander. When spending the money for a decent sander you want to make sure it lasts you a long time and that you get most out of that unit. Again below we go over a few things that will help you get the most out of your new purchase.
- Using the right sanding belt for your sanding job. If you don’t use the right abrasive sanding belt the outcome may not be what you wanted.
- Aluminum Oxide: great for most material applications.
- Silicon Carbide: great for various materials such as plastic, glass, wood, cast iron and much more
- Zirconia: designed for course to medium grit applications on metal.
- Ceramic: is designed to provide an aggressive cut under medium or high pressure metal applications.
- If you have purchased a wet sander make sure you use a coolant with an anti-rusting agent to keep your brand heavy duty sanding equipment from rusting.
- Before you get to work be sure to re track your industrial belt sander. Even though the belt was tracked here at the factory things could have changed while the machine was being transported, so to be safe hand track the belt sander prior to doing any work on it.
- If you have an eight inch sander and larger you will need shop air to keep consistent tension on the belt. Air pressure needs to be set between 40-55 psi.
- Check all the fittings on your equipment weekly to make sure everything is tight and if any fitting is loose tighten them.
- If your unit has grease fittings, grease them if needed.
- Clean your abrasive belt sander thoroughly after every shift to make sure it functions properly.
- If your unit is a wet unit clean the tank weekly to extend the life of the coolant and to keep the pump functioning as designed. Another thought on cleaning coolant tanks. Depending on the size of the wet heavy duty sander you could either put a filter on it or get your self a bed filtration system on it.
- Do preventative maintenance on the belt sander is important to keep that machine running efficiently for many years such things would include: cleaning, greasing bearings if your belt sander has grease fittings, change the coolant if your sander is wet, changing sanding belt, change and or tight v-belts if your machine is v-belt driven. Doing this will keep your machine running properly and efficiently for many years to come.
Again like abrasive cutoff wheels, you have many different sanding belt options available for both wet and dry sanders. You will need to test various belts to get the finish that you desire. Above is a short list that you should follow to get the most out of your Kalamazoo Industries belt sander.
Keeping replacement parts on the shelf is important for various reasons. If your doing preventative maintenance on the belt sander and or just needing to replace a part that has broken. Having parts on the shelf is critical so you can get your industrial tool back up and running quickly. So if you need to restock your shelf with replacement parts for your Kalamazoo Industries industrial equipment click here to be redirected to the online replacement parts shop.
If you in the market for another heavy duty sander click here to be directed to the belt sander page and give us a call with your sanding application. We would be happy to help you find the right belt sander.
The Kalamazoo Industries Team